In Part 6, we continue our research into the revelation that the heart shaped herb is toxic... with specific instances of the HSH being shown to NOT be toxic.]
When Killmonger woke up from his HSH coma, he stated that the HSH was toxic outside the Line of Bashenga.
Well, we challenge this assertion by looking at the history of the HSH a little bit deeper and pointing out some instances that contradict Killmonger's statement.
1. Zawadi apparently took the Herb with no ill effects
- I cannot find an on panel source for this but it is listed in every entry of Zawadi I can find online. Supposedly, she ate the HSH, getting all the powers from it, and is not of royal lineage at all. Just a warrior woman who apparently likes to fight monsters. If anyone has a scan of this, I would love it, but I read the only story of her I can find and didn't see it so... *shrug*
2. Peter Parker ingested the herb with no ill effects
- When Peter Parker was dying mysteriously, he came to Wakanda to try to find out what was going on. T'challa let him take the HSH and... nothing happened. Not positively or negatively. It had zero effect on him. T'challa offered it too him freely as well. No warning labels, no "bruh this might kill you." Just straight up handed him a bowl of HSH salad, hoping it would reverse whatever was killing him.
|Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #2|
3. S'yan expected Storm to undergo the Rite of Ascension
- When T'challa was put into a coma by Doom, a new Black Panther needed to be named in order to protect the country. As Queen, Storm was tasked with choosing that person. When Storm stated she would not be the one doing it, S'yan was stunned.
So, unless S'yan wanted Storm to die (she was an outsider... lol) and was a cold blooded, bitter dude, it makes no sense for him to assume Storm would undergo the Rite of Ascension and take the HSH.
|Deadliest of the Species #2|
4. The tournament and tribal challenges
- Kirby and Hudlin introduced the annual tournament for the title of Black Panther. It gives every ordinary citizen a chance to take on the current Black Panther, and if they should win, they are allowed to take the Rite of Ascension, take the HSH, and become the Black Panther.
That entire system makes absolutely no sense if the tournament is rigged and the person drops dead at the end. Can you imagine the riots that would occur if someone defeated the Black Panther and then dropped dead at the end, only for the previous Panther to take back the title by default?
The Tribal Challenges are equally as ridiculous if the new chieftain ends up dead every time.
In Part 7, we continue this discussion and use some fan fiction to try and make sense of the HSH is toxic revelation.