Issue: X-Men #45, Avengers #53
Writer: Gary Friedrich (X-Men), Roy Thomas (Avengers)
General Black Panther Spoilers
- X-Men are prisoners of Magneto and the Brotherhood. Cyclops escapes and eventually ends up fighting Quicksilver. Right as he knocks him out, the Avengers arrive with T'challa's only panel appearance.
- The Avengers think Cyclops is attacking Quicksilver (who was an Avenger) as they don't know he switched to the Brotherhood. Cyclops beats them, including blasting T'challa to kingdom come.
- Flash back to before this, where Angel arrives at Avengers HQ to recruit the Avengers against Magneto.
- Avengers discover a tracking device on Angel and think he is a traitor and tie him up. The device was actually put on by Magneto, in order to draw the Avengers to him.
- Flash back forward to post Cyclops beating and the Avengers quarrel and fight each other with some strong insults thrown T'challa's way (oh the 60's....).
- Magneto uses a machine to force to kill the Avengers. Beast attacks Black Panther and they brawl.
- The Avengers prevail and BP beats Beast.
- They attack Magneto who stops them... until Angel arrives. The tie up and fighting between each other was a ruse by the Avengers.
- Magneto ends up escaping but is betrayed by Toad, who blows up the island, along with Magneto.
Importance to the Mythos
- First meeting with the X-Men
- Brawl with Beast
- The incessant "Tarzan" type comments is just grating to read in 2017. It is like in every single issue up to this point in publication. I get it was the 60's, but I figured if Marvel was progressive enough to put an African genius king in a book, they would be progressive enough to tone down the racist type comments.
Should You Read It?
- If you are into the Roy Thomas version of T'challa, then yes, as he is in this issue a lot. Just read the Avengers issue as he is in one panel of the X-Men issue. There is also a decent fight with Beast.
For more modern Panther fans, other than the fight with Beast, there really isn't anything worth reading.