Friday, March 30, 2018
Avengers #73-74 Retro-Review
Issue: Avengers, #73-74
Date: Feb and April 1970
Writer: Roy Thomas
General Black Panther Spoilers
- Black Panther is in New York. The Sons of the Serpents are causing white supremacist mayham that eventually involves Monica Lynne.
- Black Panther saves Monica Lynne.
- Black Panther vows to take down the Sons of the Serpents himself due to being black too. The Avengers agree to give him 24 hours to do it alone.
- Black Panther attacks some of them at a dock and takes the identity of one of the goons. Unfortunately, when confronted by the Supreme One, he doesn't know the secret verse and is captured.
- A man wearing the Black Panther suit starts committing crimes. Avengers are forced to get involved. The Supreme One's plan is to unmask Black Panther and show the world he is black, and starting a race war.
- Avenger's stop the plan and it also turns out that both "TV people" were part of the Sons of the Serpents as well.
Importance to the Mythos
- First appearance of Monica Lynne
- First time in universe a civilian learned Black Panther was black. I guess.
- This is one of those times where white people tried to right "black" issues and fail miserably. T'challa has never really been a "my people" type of character unless he is talking about Wakanda. It came off as extremely forced here... an "all black people around the world" are the same type of thing. Soul Brother? good lord. This isn't Luke Cage or some other American black where this "jive" talk type stuff makes since. T'challa is a damn king of an African nation. He ain't "soul brothering" it up with anyone.
Roy is the worst.
Should You Read It?
- No. Not unless you really like Monica Lynne or something.